22 August 2016

5 Tips to Make the Most Out of Your Open Day Experience

By Tracy Trieu, current Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) student at the University of Sydney Business School.

As a Year 12 student and one of the first from my family to go to university, I really didn’t know anything about tertiary education. What degree do I want to do? What university should I pick? Will I make friends? What’s the difference between a tutorial and a lecture?

There were so many unanswered questions and I had no idea what the next year had in store for me. But like other high school students, I attended as many Open Days as I could and it really helped clarify a lot of things for me. Open Day is essentially a day where you are able to get a taste of the university experience – there are club and society stalls, information booths, presentations, helpful lectures and workshops and, of course, freebies! The day opened my eyes to all the things the University of Sydney had to offer, and it gave me opportunities to further discover the courses I was interested in.

Open Day can be a really exciting and jammed packed day so here are some tips on how you can make the most out of it:
  1.  Plan your day! Take a look at all the activities and events available and map out where you want to go and the times (the University also offers an Open Day app you can download).
  2. Do a bit of research beforehand – Get an overview of the university and the courses available so you’re able to ask more informative questions on the day.
  3. Write down a list of questions you have (e.g. about courses, scholarships, programs) – This is really simple and can help you find all the answers you need without forgetting what you came for (since there’s a lot happening during Open Day and you might get distracted).
  4. Talk to the student ambassadors – They’re there to talk to you so don’t be afraid to ask about the student experience, which you might not hear a lot about. They’ve been in your position before and can offer really great advice.
  5.  Dress comfortably and pack light! I’m not going to lie, there’s most likely going to be a lot of walking involved during the day. You may also be handed a lot of freebies (including food) so try not to weigh yourself down.
With that being said, be curious, ask questions, take lots of photos (#usydbusiness and #usydopenday on Instagram) and just enjoy the day! And, it’s okay to not have a clue what you want to do in university – you’ll work it out.

Find out more about this years Open Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment