27 April 2017

Why should you get Job Smart?

Job Smart is an extra-curricular program that is supported by globally recognised organisations and open for all postgraduate students. It is an opportunity for students to build a portfolio of hands-on, work-relevant experiences throughout their whole degrees. We recently spoke to Nominzol Tsogtbaatar, a current student engaged in the Job Smart program, about her experience.

What has been the best thing about Job Smart?
The best thing about Job Smart was the CV/Resume Coaching session, which I found quite useful for my future work experience in Australia. Ever since I’ve applied the recommendations from an expert from Job Smart to my resume, I am more confident that I can find a good job. In addition, the positive comments on my resume were encouraging.

What are some examples of the skills/experience you’ve gained as a result of participating in the program?
I’ve gained volunteering experience, which have given me an understanding on the organisation of events, its structure and the coordination and activities involved, which are skills I can apply to my future endeavors.

How is the program adding to your degree?
I think Master of Commerce students have many great job opportunities in the market. However, it can still be challenging to obtain those opportunities. Job Smart alleviates our struggles and uncertainties in many ways through its activities and programs.

How is Job Smart preparing you for life after university?
After our master’s degree, everyone will be job hunting. The job market is becoming more fierce and complex. It takes a lot of effort to overcome the complexities and meet employers’ criteria. Job Smart provides great advice and helps us be more confident in this competitive environment.

What is the biggest takeaway for you so far?
During a CV consultation session, I met Yvonne – a career consultant, and one of the most ideal people I’ve met since I enrolled in the Business School. During the session, we discussed my concerns and problems with my resume and she offered great solutions for them. She made very valuable comments. After that session, I updated my resume according to her recommendations and contacted her again to make sure I reflected her comments correctly. My meetings with Yvonne provided me a huge surge of relief since I am an international student who is not familiar with Australian employers and the job market.

What would you say to a student considering joining the program?
Job Smart will not take too much of your time and effort. If you make the most out of the program, you will gain a lot of experiences and, more importantly, a better understanding of the job market. I enthusiastically recommend it to students.

Find out more about Job Smart and how to register.

No comments:

Post a Comment