7 December 2017

Getting Job Smart

Three students have been awarded 12 week summer internships through the Business School’s Job Smart program. 


Job Smart is a free extracurricular program available for postgraduate Business School students, designed to assist participants in developing work-relevant skills during their studies. Completing one phase per semester, students build up a portfolio of work-relevant experiences by engaging in networking activities and attending professional coaching sessions.

We caught up with two of the recipients, Marilyn Yang and Xu Li, to find out more about their Job Smart experience, and what they are looking forward to when they start their internship with the accounting department at Hilton Hotels.

How did you first hear about the program and why did you decide to participate?
Xu: I remember seeing Job Smart for the first time after receiving the Semester 2 Orientation email from the Business School. After arriving in Sydney we got a brief introduction session about the Job Smart program during Orientation week.

I saw the program as a good opportunity for me to develop employability skills that are not necessarily focused on in my course, but are crucial for every graduate to find a job.

What has been the most valuable part of the Job Smart program?
Marilyn: The most valuable part of Job Smart program is the well-designed activities, prizes and the genuine purpose of helping students. I’ve had the opportunity to undertake some volunteer work, Global Scope Project and now an internship.

The soft skills I have developed, such as time management, communication and teamwork skills, mean a lot to me. I have found a sense of fulfillment as I’ve made improvements and achievements throughout the program, which is a great encouragement for me.

What do you hope to gain from the internship you were awarded?
Marilyn: I hope I can accumulate practical experience and keep pace with the new trend in the accounting world. Developing employability, perceiving Australian workplace culture and building up confidence are also important to me.

Xu: I hope to gain related working experience, develop my interpersonal and other soft skills, and know Australian organisation culture.

How do you think this experience will enhance your future career?
Xu: The internship experiences along with other skills I have developed will equip me with more potential in my future career.

Marilyn: To me, this is the starting point of my accounting career. No matter what kind of job I end up in, this experience will help me identify which accounting field I want to explore further and the soft skills trained in the internship will apply to my future life.

No comments:

Post a Comment